Here are the top 10 things you need to know as you plan for retirement.
1. Save as much as you can as early as you can.
2. Set realistic goals.
3. A 401(k) is one of the easiest and best ways to save for retirement.
4. An IRA also can give your savings a tax-advantaged boost.
5. Focus on your asset allocation more than on individual picks.
6. Stocks are best for long-term growth.
7. Don't move too heavily into bonds, even in retirement.
8. Making tax-efficient withdrawals can stretch the life of your nest egg.
9. Working part-time in retirement can help in more ways than one.
10. There are other creative ways to get more mileage out of retirement assets.